Join me, from September 17th - 22nd, 2019, for an amazing week of sewing and making in and around Lisbon!
After weathering a long economic downturn, Lisbon has been experiencing a revival in the past decade, drawing lovers of design and creativity to experience its history, culture and color. I am so excited to explore the beauty and history of this European capital with you through our love of sewing and making! During our time together, we will sew in an urban co-sewing space, enjoy the natural beauty just outside Lisbon through flower foraging, macramé with a Portuguese artist learn the history and process behind Portuguese tiles. You’ll head back home fulfilled and inspired!
We will enjoy sewing together at Lisbon's first co-sewing space, with historical, specialized retrosarias (or haberdasheries) at our finger tips. Whether you are an experienced, advanced sewist, or just starting your sewing journey, this will be a space for you! Sewing in community is a great way to learn new skills, and I will be available to teach workshops either based on my patterns or specific skills, depending on the desires of the group.
A tradition originally brought by the Moors, colorful tiles - from simplistic to intricate - adorn the interior and exterior of buildings throughout Portugal. We will get a glimpse of the history behind azulejos (tiles) through a workshop, and further enjoy the beauty and color surrounding us throughout the city. Although we can never expect to really know a culture or history in such a short period, learning through doing is a way to at least experience a small taste.
We will continue our learning by doing with the guidance of a Portuguese artist and an American artist who has made Portugal her home, giving us interesting perspectives of a native and a newcomer.
All prices are excluding airfare. 50% deposit is required to reserve your spot.
Final payment due no later than June 1st, 2019.
Please note that this is an indicative itinerary and is subject to minor modifications. Sewing space at The LOFT will be available to us all day on sewing days. I will be your host during the entire retreat and will be available for any and all questions at any time of day or night.
Tuesday, September 17th
Wednesday, September 18th
Thursday, September 19th
Friday, September 20th
Saturday, September 21st
Sunday, September 22nd
- Meals, general: all meals include non-alcoholic beverages. Dinners include one beer or wine per person. All specialty beverages (with or without alcohol) and any additional drinks are the responsibility of the traveler.
- Breakfast: Travelers in a shared or private room at The Indy House will enjoy a breakfast each morning, available in the common kitchen.
- Lunch: Lunch will be provided in restaurants on 3 of the 4 full days. Lunch is left open on one day to fill as you wish, and is not included in the price of the retreat.
- Dinner: 3 dinners, including one beer or wine, are included in the retreat price. Two evenings are left open for travelers to have the opportunity to choose where to take meals based on personal preference. Our hotel has a common kitchen on each floor, should you choose to prepare your own meal.
- Dietary constraints: I am happy to accommodate most dietary restrictions. Please inform me at the time of registration, and no later than June 15th, of any dietary constraints you may have.
- Mobility constraints: I am happy to accommodate travelers with restricted mobility. Please do inform me at the time of registration, and no later than June 15th, of any mobility constraints you may have, so that I can ensure suitable and comfortable transportation for you.
- Shared rooms: If you are traveling with a friend and would like to share a room together, please let me know!
- Sewing machines: One sewing machine per person will be available, as well as all standard sewing tools. At least one serger will be on hand to share. You are welcome to bring any specialized sewing tools you like to use, but please note that you are entirely responsible for the care and well-being of those tools.
- Medical care: In the unlikely event that you should require any medical care while traveling, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have insurance to cover this.
TRAVELING TO LISBON
This retreat requires a minimum of 4 participants. I will email you once the minimum has been met, and no later than June 1st, 2019, so you can go ahead and make your travel arrangements. Because the retreat cannot take place without a minimum of 4 participants, it is best to wait until you receive this e-mail to purchase your flights (please also read the terms and conditions carefully before purchasing a spot in the retreat or making any travel arrangements).